The start of a new academic year means starting to plan the year’s school trips for many.
This can be a daunting prospect, especially when the group includes children with SEND.
I recently wrote an article for SENCO Magazine, which I hope will help many teachers faced with organising such outings, to plan and execute their visits efficiently and effectively.
I have listed my top tips, which include:
- Researching and choosing your destination
- Preparation and pre-planning
- Preparing pupils
- Working together with families, and
- On the day advice.
It also includes a ‘what your pupils need’ fact box, aimed at helping to better meet their needs, which after all, is the most important factor.
You can read the full article here…
I hope this helps to alleviate some of the new academic year stresses and results in many happy and productive outings throughout the year!
About the author: Marie Smith
Courses Marie Smith SEND Consultant delivers:
- Developing a SEND friendly environment
- Have fun with language – Practical ways to support children with speech and language difficulties within settings
- Successful Partnerships = Successful Development. Working together with parents and carers to identify and support children with SEND
- Supporting children with SEND strategies and resources – A best practice model
- The A-Z of practical ways to support children with social and communication needs to be independent learners
- The Sensory Toolbox – Supporting the sensory needs of children to make them happier and more confident learners
- Understanding and supporting the behaviour needs of complex and ‘hard to reach’ children!
- Understanding the learning profile of children with Downs Syndrome
Please contact us if you would like to speak to Marie about working in your setting or having any of these courses delivered in your setting.